Sunday - Church Dinner

 Wore a nice suit today for church, and was reminded again of why people dress down...we ate a big lunch afterwards, and then did clean up.  See this is the way it works.

Women do all the cooking and food preparation for these things.
Theoretically, men set up tables.  And yet the ladies group bought portable tables that are more lightweight, so we can handle them.  Then the tables were decorated by.....you guessed it, the women.
Then we ate, after praying and all that stuff.  Everyone ate equally, although if there were small children, the women tended to their needs.

Then it was time for tear down and do the dishes.  I started off washing the dishes.  Imagine washing dishes for approximately 40 people.  Fun or what?  Because of course there is no dish washing machine...ha ha, except for the women, they're dish washing machines.  There's also no dish rack, and limited hot water.  Yes, limited hot water, it's only a small water heater there.  Somebody boiled some water.  Suddenly, I had a moment of Deja Vu...back to the 70s and St. Charles, LOL.  Tons of people to help dry, and they dry so quickly, that the towels get soaked.  No dish rack to help things drain.   I surprised everyone by finding a pair of rubber gloves (for dish washing duties) but then it was annoying anyway, because my lovely blue jacket sleeves didn't want to stay rolled up.  And, the sink is low to the ground (like so many of the short arses around here...and there I was, Madame Giraffe.  My back was sore, it often gets sore when I do dishes.  Funny, I can climb stairs no problem,  but dishes give me a back ache, LOL.
So while the women continued their toiling in the kitchen, the men did things like put back chairs into the storage area.  I presume they would do the same with the tables, once the WOMEN got done wiping them down and folding up the plastic tablecloths and floral arrangements.  JC.  It's plastic tablecloths from the $1 store, but they get saved until they can't be salvaged anymore.

Anyway, speaking of salvaging, I'm off to see what I can make of the rest of the day.    


SL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life in Weymouth Installment # 2

Noise Rant

Saving - Reusing - Recycling