January 20 2011


AKA insight into a solitary life.


I watched a show tonight about Solitary Confinement. (no, not in a dungeon, in a modern facility). It's apparently very bad for people...makes them paranoid, makes them act out on impulse more, makes them less able to control their emotions.

Then they showed tests being done on people...test people that is, not the prisoners. They were divided into two groups. One group was asked to write about a happy time in their lives, the other was asked to write about a sad and lonely time. Then, when they were done, food was brought in to them. Cookies and radishes. Guess who ate more of the cookies? The lonely, depressed ones. Apparently one has trouble with impulse control, if lonely. Hence, perhaps, my seemingly irrational spending and obsessive need to have more than one of any item. Yes folks, this is diagnosis by TV.

One time I bought "Jesus" pictures. Not one, but many. Eventually gave them all away, though I kept a few favorites.
One time I went to church and noticed that all the men seemed to be wearing weird ties. For some reason, I latched onto this, and went out and bought about 10 of the most weird ties I could find.

And, where I once only admired hankies, prior to this year, I'd only bought one pack. Don't remember where I got it, but I've had the package for a while, its never been opened. But I now have many. Some still not here, but nonetheless, on the way here. And you know, I can't imagine actually using them to blow my nose. How gross...

Of course you can't eat hankies...unless you want to make your break for stardom on "My Strange Addiction." Last night's episode was about a woman who liked to eat cushions. Just the insides, not the fabric. I mean, she did have her standards. I found myself thinking this whole program is made up of liars.

It's Thursday night and I thought TV would be better. NOT. Right now the channel is tuned to some horror movie and I've got to shut it off. One can only stand so much screaming and faux blood spatter flying around.

SL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life in Weymouth Installment # 2

Noise Rant

Saving - Reusing - Recycling