Remembrance Day is Huge


I went to bed really early last night, I felt exhausted.  Slept till 7 this morning.  I think I'm worn out by the Remembrance Day preparations.  Not that I've done that much yet.  But today, I'm going over to the local high school, along with two other volunteers.  I don't know what we'll be doing - I never saw war action, so I'm not going to talk about it.  Neither did one of the others, but the third, Mr. Francis, well he is a vet, and thankfully, still in his right mind.  So he can do the talking and get the accolades, as well he should.

Then on Saturday, I'm doing some clean up at the Legion, and I might be putting together a brochure, and no doubt I'll have to make a short speech.

A welcome of sorts, at least.  Then Sunday is D Day...Remembrance at the Legion. 

As a person who spent most of my life in Ontario, I can't say as I found Remembrance Day to be huge.  I mean, stores are open, and so on, not like here, where most everything is shut down.  I did write to the government once in Ontario, asking that November 11th be made an official holiday, so that retail workers, etc, could attend ceremonies, or whatever.  (I received a reply that my message had been referred to "the right person," but "the right person" never did respond to me)  However, other than when Tina moved to Sudbury and we went to RD parades, I didn't really pay a whole lot of attention to it.  Nor do I watch or appreciate war movies (other than Schindler's List).  The only war books I've read were not strictly military.

They were more like biographies (IE about Hitler), and a few about the Vietnam war.  More personal, rather than military, I would say.  Anyway, here I am in the thick of things.    I will be sooooo glad when it's all over.

I mean, Sunday November 11th is a full day for us.  The RD ceremony in the morning.  Then a slide show (must check on that), dinner and awards that evening.

I haven't even seen the awards, Pete sent for them.  I hope he got all we needed.  Speaking of which, I should be getting a 20 year pin.  Yes, I've been a member of the Weymouth Legion since 1992.  I joined for sentimental reasons, but look it's paying off.


Then December...the swearing in of new members.  Hopefully, we'll find those missing membership applications, LOL.  Voting for elections and the swearing in of new executive, if any.  
 
SL

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life in Weymouth Installment # 2

Noise Rant

Saving - Reusing - Recycling