Sewing on a Button - then and now







A button was missing from a shoulder epaulet on a coat I plan to wear today.

Technique if this happened 30 years ago:
Retrieve salvaged button (because I noticed when it popped off)
Got to sewing supplies and gather thread and hand sewing needle.
Thread needle.
Sew epaulet back on with button exactly like the other shoulder side. 

Technique if this happened today (at 63, and it did happen) 

Discover while trying to twist yoke back onto coat, that shoulder piece is loose and flopping down.
Search pockets in vain for matching button
Retrieve a bag of buttons and wearing glasses, choose a button which matches fairly well
Take off glasses and begin search for a hand sewing needle.
Look through, cases, drawers of sewing supplies, finally find it on the inside door of the still wheel less sewing cabinet.
Put on glasses and stand at window (for better light)
Thread needle with the first thread that is sticking out of the box....use kitchen scissors to cut same, because it’s too much bother to go into the wheel less cabinet and haul out my sewing machine case, which holds the good sewing scissors.
Sew button on.
Take off glasses
Realize that I’ve sewn it on wrong, it’s decorative, not functional, and is supposed to go on the top of the shoulder epaulet.
Put on glasses and cut off button
Bring epaulet up into position, and start sewing (using correct colored thread this time).
Take off glasses as I realize that I don’t really need the button.
Put glasses back on and sew epaulet directly onto coat. 

Take off glasses, glance briefly at handiwork, and proclaim it “Good Enough”

SL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life in Weymouth Installment # 2

Noise Rant

Saving - Reusing - Recycling