Bible Study


Here we are, swinging into May already. 
I've attached a picture here of my bible, open to Romans, which we are currently "studying" at church.  This bible study class is held on Wednesday nights.

I'm quite interested in studying the bible, but I think it's more from a secular viewpoint, rather than spiritual.  Here at church, they're heavy on the spiritual.  Naturally, I suppose.  However, I have to ask, how can one be expected to study said bible and glean anything from it that makes sense, if every verse (or interpretation of the verse) is punctuated with do's and don'ts.  Plus the minister (who is also the teacher) well...what can I say?  I like his talks in church, and when he's speaking to people normally, he's quite funny.  But I'm not sure about this bible study...someone asked him something during the study, and he couldn't answer, said he'll have to look it up.  Okay, that happens, but regardless, I found he did put his particular spin on things.  Heavy on the right and wrong.  Extra emphasis on the wrong. 

Who knows how accurate these translations are, with regard to the bible?  I mean, they were written thousands of years ago, in a strange and archaic language, translated and interpreted, sometimes things were hidden or omitted, by various people throughout the ages.  Waddup? 

Ah life.  Why don't I just accept it as it is, and not want to know the deeper meaning of things...hey, maybe there is no deeper meaning. 

Then I wouldn't be bothered reading a complex and disconnected book that for sure one doesn't even know is accurate...

SL, the perplexed (have a little faith Girl)

Comments