Defeated by Butterick



Okay...I've been working on this dress, more or less, all day. I have been having trouble with one sleeve.
Looks so easy, doesn't it? And in fact, it should be easy. I think the complications came about as a result of the way they tell you to put the thing together.

Sew the front insert together to the front of the gown (the body).
attach lapel things.
Sew elastic into the front, as shown in pattern pieces.
Sew the front of the sleeves to the front, as shown.

Sew the back insert to the back.
Sew the back sleeve pieces to the back...this is where the problem came in. I couldn't get one sleeve to fit properly. To be sewn in that weird way shown, onto the bodice, so to speak, of the dress. The back of the dress I mean.
The fabric is stretchy, and I kept getting it wrong.

Finally I took it to someone named Gina, a seamstress down at Sudbury Steam. She couldn't figure it out, so she took it to another seamstress in the basement or back of the building. She returned triumphantly with it pinned together, giving me accolades because I had at least tried to put it together.

I left, came home, and tried it again. Only to discover that the way they had pinned the left sleeve to the gown, was the way I had been doing it. Tough rocks, I sewed it together. So what so the sleeves are different? You can't tell...unless I really stretched my arms out and you were looking.

Great God...was it the stretchiness of the fabric? The heat today and all the other days? Did I cut or lay something wrong? Was it the strange geometric pattern of the fabric which made it hard to look at, LOL? Was it my impatience? All of the above?

The pattern called for knit fabric, but perhaps not as bendy as what I used... Yeah, I think it asked for moderate stretch, well I must have had super stretch.

It's too bad, because it is a nice looking thing...note to self - make it again, but not in stretchy fabric.






SL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life in Weymouth Installment # 2

Noise Rant

Saving - Reusing - Recycling