Impaired Driving/Drinking in General-My Thoughts
I was watching the local news tonight, and the first two headliners were about impaired drivers. Both were involved in accidents, one on the Kingsway, one on Skead Road. The one on the KW was a 49 year old male, the one on Skead Road was a 39 year old male. As it happens Mr. Skead had been charged with impaired driving only two months ago.
The OPP were out this weekend in the North Bay area, keeping posted on the state of inebriation on the snowmobiling trails...Family Day and all coming up, you know.
The broadcaster said that police had expressed shock at the idea that people were still driving impaired.
I would like to address this idea of anyone being shocked about the number of impaired drivers. First of all, I'm sure for every person who is caught, there are at least ten others who make it home without getting caught. Understand, this doesn't make it right..I'm well aware of the high cost involved in some impaired driving incidents. It is extremely high, far too high to warrant taking a chance on getting behind the wheel while drinking.
That said, I would like to say that I have, on occasion in the past, driven while over the legal limit. I'm sure many others have as well. In fact, there was a time in the past, when impaired driving was largely overlooked.
It goes without saying that sometimes those who drink, drive. So...what can be done? I mean seriously. A person can go into a bar, have only the best intentions (and I'm sure not many going in looking to get drunk and kill someone), and still get into trouble. First of all, alcohol is a judgment impairing drug. Let's not mess around here folks, it is. In many cases, even one drink can change your perception of yourself and/or others.
Think about the rules associated with drinking - its not a pretty picture. You can drink in your home, or in your yard, but not on the street. You can drink in a bar, but not in your vehicle, not in your ice hut, not if you're underage, and you can be arrested for something called public intoxication. Drunk in public. I guess it is legal to be drunk at home, assuming you don't have any vulnerable persons (kids) in your care, assuming you don't start doing rude things to pets or people, or causing your neighbours concern by bizarre behaviour (setting fires etc). And of course, you're not supposed to drink and drive. It's a fine line between being below the legal limit and being over. It varies from person to person, according to their ability to synthesize the booze in their system.
Prohibition was tried, and it failed, because it seems that we will not be denied our constitutional right to get out of our minds. That, and the fact that there is a lot of money to be made on liquor sales, guarantees that will be around forever. Unfortunately, many people (if not most) do not aspire to a higher level of thinking/living, competence. Look at the broken homes, the jails, the hospitals, native reserves and you will see some of the power of alcohol to alter people's lives.
I have to ask, why is this drug legal? Pregnant women who drink run the risk of putting their children at risk for Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, a disorder that is present in much higher proportions than was previously thought. Drivers who get behind the wheel run the risk of injuring or killing - themselves or others. Alcohol poisoning happens often among teenagers who are inexperienced drinkers. (It also happens at bachelor parties, LOL) How many people come home after drinking and die in their own vomit? Hey, it happens. Or longer term, how many alcohol related deaths are there? The long term effects of excessive drinking can be devastating. Even without death, how many families have the ever present cloud of alcoholism hanging over their heads? How many kids will grow up to continue this vicious cycle?
Training? Education? All good tools to overcome this, but there is no way that will stop these causes and effects. Because alcohol is, like I said earlier in this monologue, a mind altering drug. And some people will become addicted to it, and that is a whole, awful other world.
But will the government ever take a stand and try to stop the madness? I highly doubt it, since they're pretty corrupt themselves. Plus, let's not forget the almighty dollar. It rules.
And don't get me started on smoking...
SL
The OPP were out this weekend in the North Bay area, keeping posted on the state of inebriation on the snowmobiling trails...Family Day and all coming up, you know.
The broadcaster said that police had expressed shock at the idea that people were still driving impaired.
I would like to address this idea of anyone being shocked about the number of impaired drivers. First of all, I'm sure for every person who is caught, there are at least ten others who make it home without getting caught. Understand, this doesn't make it right..I'm well aware of the high cost involved in some impaired driving incidents. It is extremely high, far too high to warrant taking a chance on getting behind the wheel while drinking.
That said, I would like to say that I have, on occasion in the past, driven while over the legal limit. I'm sure many others have as well. In fact, there was a time in the past, when impaired driving was largely overlooked.
It goes without saying that sometimes those who drink, drive. So...what can be done? I mean seriously. A person can go into a bar, have only the best intentions (and I'm sure not many going in looking to get drunk and kill someone), and still get into trouble. First of all, alcohol is a judgment impairing drug. Let's not mess around here folks, it is. In many cases, even one drink can change your perception of yourself and/or others.
Think about the rules associated with drinking - its not a pretty picture. You can drink in your home, or in your yard, but not on the street. You can drink in a bar, but not in your vehicle, not in your ice hut, not if you're underage, and you can be arrested for something called public intoxication. Drunk in public. I guess it is legal to be drunk at home, assuming you don't have any vulnerable persons (kids) in your care, assuming you don't start doing rude things to pets or people, or causing your neighbours concern by bizarre behaviour (setting fires etc). And of course, you're not supposed to drink and drive. It's a fine line between being below the legal limit and being over. It varies from person to person, according to their ability to synthesize the booze in their system.
Prohibition was tried, and it failed, because it seems that we will not be denied our constitutional right to get out of our minds. That, and the fact that there is a lot of money to be made on liquor sales, guarantees that will be around forever. Unfortunately, many people (if not most) do not aspire to a higher level of thinking/living, competence. Look at the broken homes, the jails, the hospitals, native reserves and you will see some of the power of alcohol to alter people's lives.
I have to ask, why is this drug legal? Pregnant women who drink run the risk of putting their children at risk for Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, a disorder that is present in much higher proportions than was previously thought. Drivers who get behind the wheel run the risk of injuring or killing - themselves or others. Alcohol poisoning happens often among teenagers who are inexperienced drinkers. (It also happens at bachelor parties, LOL) How many people come home after drinking and die in their own vomit? Hey, it happens. Or longer term, how many alcohol related deaths are there? The long term effects of excessive drinking can be devastating. Even without death, how many families have the ever present cloud of alcoholism hanging over their heads? How many kids will grow up to continue this vicious cycle?
Training? Education? All good tools to overcome this, but there is no way that will stop these causes and effects. Because alcohol is, like I said earlier in this monologue, a mind altering drug. And some people will become addicted to it, and that is a whole, awful other world.
But will the government ever take a stand and try to stop the madness? I highly doubt it, since they're pretty corrupt themselves. Plus, let's not forget the almighty dollar. It rules.
And don't get me started on smoking...
SL
Comments
Post a Comment