Twisted Sister
Okay, for some reason, I've become a tad obsessed with the idea of a doll with a pregnant appearance. Went on eBay, and discovered Midge. This doll was discontinued in late 2002. Apparently parents were aghast at the idea that their children might be playing with a pregnant doll. This, even though Mattel went to great lengths to make known to the Public that Midge wore a wedding band, that a Ken clone lurked in the background, and she also had a toddler. She was intended to be a family doll. Regardless, she was unappreciated, and as a result of this recall, Midge is now selling for a tidy sum on eBay, as are the knock off "pregnant" dolls. One seller is even offering pregnant "bellies" for Barbies, in various stages of gestation.
Not wanting to fork over large sums of money for what will probably turn out to be a temporary obsession, I thought I'd check out the local second stores for a Midge. Today, I found one.
Ah, but I was fooled by her dress. Oh, it was a Midge dress, no doubt about that. The doll was in a bag with another Barbie, so I just scarfed them both up and away I went.
To my chagrin, once I got home, I discovered that "Midge" wasn't pregnant. She was wearing the dress, but other things seemed amiss. Her hands and arms. They were sort of in a weird position..but I thought...oh she's just in position to hold the baby. Not!
How different things really were became apparent once I stripped off the bland, lavender color Midge dress. This was most definitly NOT a Midge doll. For one thing, she's not only taller than Barbie, she's taller than Ken!
Exta long legs, a very narrow waist, curvy hips, and yes, a curvy spine...what's with this? Is the "Not Midge" doll a victim of Scoliosis? What weird intent did the manufacturer have for this particular twisted sister of Barbie?
She is made by Mattel, I checked her backside printing.
Perhaps it's a mystery I will never solve.
Comments
Post a Comment