Butter

I can't believe it's butter. Just as an aside to the previous blog about margarine....and my cynical comments therein, I remembered that I had an experience with butter. Real butter, not margarine. I feel it would be good to post it here. You non believers in margarine, and thinkers that butter is so fresh and real, read on:
Note: I was in the process of moving back home, and this was in a long email. I'm not putting everything in here, just the pertinent stuff.

March 19, 2009. I'm downstairs watching TV. There is some water seepage down there in the basement area. Not on the rug covered floor, but on some of the cement. Example, in the laundry room. I decided to go and look in the little area that the previous home owners referred to as a craft room. I look at a large gift type bag filled with what would probably be party items. Tickets, straws, paper napkins, etc. I stick it up on higher ground. I'm thinking that the bottom of the bag, now quite damp and getting moldy, will need to dry out. I look down, below the shelving, and notice a white box. The box has been there for a long time. In a cleaning mode, I pulled it out to have a look at what is inside of it.
There is a funny smell in it, not caused by mold, although there is mold or dampish fiber anyway, on the bottom of the box. The box is sectioned, and inside each little section are glass bowls. I recognize them, these are the fancy bowls that we put on the tables at our wedding. There are even a small pile of candles in one of the bowls. But that's not what was causing the smell. Which, by the way, while noticeable, wasn't terribly offensive. And what was the odor causing agent? Two pounds of butter folks, two pounds of butter. Still in the original wrapper, and wrapped yet again, in a grocery bag.
Now think about this for a minute. Was this butter put there very close to 10 years ago? The year we got married? What else could it be....Now think about this...the stuff still looked like butter. It smelled a bit, to be sure, but I've eaten butter that smelled like that, in fact, I kind of like it when it gets to that stage. Like old cheese. Well, I guess that had progressed beyond the old cheese stage, but still, considering the length of time it's been down there, it's remarkably well preserved. What's this tell you about today's food standards? Good Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life in Weymouth Installment # 2

Noise Rant

Saving - Reusing - Recycling